Friday, November 15, 2013

Chickens!!

Last spring I had the brilliant idea I was going to raise some chickens. Now, I have never had any experience with chickens (other than the cooked variety) and had no clue what I was doing. But I was going to give it a try anyway.

We went to the feed store with the kids and picked out 10 cute as a button fuzzy little chickies. The kids were so excited. We brought them home and put them in their coop I had set up in the barn. My girls were such good helpers and took care of them daily. They would go out everyday after school and sit with the birds. They fed them and watered them. It had become their project more than mine.

One morning I went out to check how they were and it was a massacre. Chickens down, feathers everywhere. I was so upset. I started looking for clues as to what had gotten in there. When I saw my little dog across the yard playing with something. Yep, you guessed it. He did it. He dug a hole underneath and must have had a field day.

Well after giving the dog a piece of my mind, I gathered the chickens and cleaned up the mess. I just knew my girls would be devastated. So I did what any Mom would do, I played the ol switcheroo. I went back to the feed store and bought 10 more chicks.  I secured the coop as best I could to prevent this from happening again and put the new chicks in the coop. I breathed a sigh of releif , knowing my girls would be none the wiser as to what had happened. Until.....

They came home from school that day and ran out to the barn, I followed.  Everything was fine til one of the twins did I a head count. There was 11 chicks!  11!

How did that happen Mom? Why is there 11?

Apparently during the massacre one of the chicks found a hiding place and didn't reveal itself until it was safe.

I had to explain what happened. Since I had already replaced the chicks, they took the news pretty well. All was fine for a couple weeks.

He did it again!

That's 20 chicks.

I'm done!

I still want to try again. So Clyde has promised to build me a proper chicken coop in time for this springs arrival of baby chickens.

I have learned from this experience and will place the coop in an area my dog does not have access to. Wish me luck.


11 comments:

  1. good luck... is your dog part fox? sheesh! Glad the girls didn't take it too bad the first time around, but how did they the second time around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part fox? Lol No but he is definitely a hunter. He's killed all kinds of animals on our property since we've had him.

      The girls were pretty upset especially when I told them I wasn't buying anymore. But being the wonderful girls they are, they didn't want anymore chicks to have to go through that. I told them we would try again next spring and they were very understanding.

      xo

      Delete
  2. Hey Bonnie, oh no, that's awful! Good luck with the next brood. Definitely going to have to put the coop somewhere your dog can't get to.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I'm going to need all the luck I can get. Lol Lesson learned.

      xo

      Delete
  3. Lol I'm so sorry about the chickens :( I replaced my kids nice ones because they died too early, but with the second set I didn't ask about the sex of the mice. The kids never did notice the difference, up to the times we woke up one morning and had six extra little mice in the cage. Our original mice were boys and the kids new it :( oooops lol

    Good luck with your new chickens :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah invade your wondering, they new ones were girls and one must have already been pregnant when I bought it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg Missy, that's too funny. The things us mommy's go through to make our kids happy, doesn't always work out the way we hoped. But at least we try right?! Lol

      xo

      Delete
  5. So me living in a community where people do not have chickens, let alone a barn, I find this all so fascinating, lol. I was so glad that 1 little chick survived the first massacre - did it by chance survive the second?
    hugs,
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately No. It didn't survive the second time. Hopefully I will have better luck next time.

      xo

      Delete
  6. My best friend had the same issue but has reinforced the fences and its been a year since murdy plopped a dead hen at her feet. Thank goodness. She's obsessed with her "ladies". Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That would have been a great idea. I just didn't think it would be a problem so my coop was not secure enough.

      I'm so glad it worked out for your friend. :-)

      xo

      Delete

I love meeting like minded people and making new friends. Please feel free to comment and leave your two cents.

Follow by Email